Tuesday 12 June 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Strawberry Pavlova

Hi everyone,
This is an easy recipe for a yummy fruity summer treat.


Pavlova is a simple combination of a meringue base, whipped cream and fresh fruit.
To make my pavlova a little different I made a fruit coulis and folded some into the whipped cream and drizzled some on the top.

Ingredients
For the Meringue
- 4 Egg Whites
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Malt Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornflour
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

For the Coulis
- 150g Frozen Mixed Berries
- Icing Sugar, to taste(About a couple of tablespoons)

For the Top
- 300ml Whipping Cream, whipped
- Punnet of Strawberries


Method
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Then add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is very stiff.
- Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla. 

- Line a baking sheet with silicone paper.
- Pile the meringue mixture into the centre and spread into a 23cm(9 inch) circle(roughly!).
- Hollow out a small dip in the centre of the meringue.
- Bake in an oven that's preheated to 150 degrees. 
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once cooked leave to cool completely.

- While the meringue is baking/cooling, make the fruit coulis.
- Using a stick blender, blitz the fruit into a sauce. (I put my fruit in a large pyrex jug while blending)
- Put a metal sieve over a bowl and push the fruit sauce through to get rid of the seeds.
- Stir the icing sugar into the sieved sauce, taste to check if it's sweet enough.

- Once the meringue is cool, fold half of the sauce through the whipped cream. 
- Pile the cream onto the meringue.
- Decorate the top with halved strawberries and drizzle with the remaining coulis.
- I then added edible glitter, but you don't have to :D



Thanks for reading,
Jess
xxx

5 comments:

  1. I love pavlova. I can't cook meringues though. I blame my oven.

    C
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oven's a bit annoying, it's really hot compared to other ovens and burns most things! xx

      Delete
  2. I love pavlova its so yummy x

    ReplyDelete